Welcome to our Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ page. Find here answers to some of your questions that you would have in mind before traveling to India. Whether you are a first time traveler to India or a frequent visitor, you would find this page quite useful.
What is the best time to visit India?
Four prominent seasons in India are:
- November-March: Winters
- April-June: Summers
- July-September: Rains
- October-November: Autumn
Visitors travelling for wellness can travel in any season. During rains in mountains it is advisable to stay at a particular location till the rains subside. The winters are from November to March end, with cool, fresh mornings and evenings and dry, sunny days.
Yoga festival takes place in Feb or March.
Places like Leh Ladakh, Sikkim, Manali are at its best from April to October.
What kind of clothes would be acceptable?
Wear a dress that makes you feel comfortable while travelling and protects you and your important stuff from different weathers. At religious or spiritual places shorts, minis and tank tops are unadvisable. In small towns and cities especially, people may tend to stare if you expose too much skin. Safe clothing would be trousers, peddle pushers, capris, skirts, tops and shirts. India has some good cottons which are trendy and affordable. Buy yourself some. Women could try wearing a salwar kameez which is very cool and comfortable and could even improve the attitude of people towards them. On beaches and metropolitans people are more open for western dresses.
Do you need special clothes for yoga, meditation, or Ayurveda therapies?
No, it is advised that you should wear the clothes as per the weather and the place. However, sometimes during therapies you might be required to wear special dress that would be most likely provided by the therapy centre.
What is the language spoken in India?
Hindi is the nationally used language and largely spoken by everyone involved in tourism industry.
Is drinking water safe in India?
We advise that you only should drink water from a bottle of mineral water which is cheap and widely available and usually provided in flasks in hotel rooms. Avoid drinking any kind of water or juices from roadside carts and vendors.
What is the amount that should be given as tips to waiters or guide at restaurants/hotels?
In restaurants or hotels a 10% service charge is often added to bills, in which case there is no need to tip. However, still if you wish to tip, you need only tip 5-10%. It is customary to tip waiters, porters, guides and drivers.
How safe is it to eat non-vegetarian food in India?
India is primarily a Hindu country. In non-vegetarian food, Chicken, Mutton (Goat meat), and seafood is used. It should be had from good eating joints or restaurants. Indian delicacies are well prepared even at normal joints; however, to get an optimal taste and to be safe you should look for the famous joints in the area. Certainly there would be famous joints that can be found.
How should we be prepared for camping and trekking in winters in India?
- Motive should be to stay warm and dry and get protection from environment.
- Prefer using waterproof sleeping bags with warm sleeping pad.
- Extra sets of socks, shoes and clothing should be carried along with you.
- Waterproof shoes can help.
- Woollen caps, heavy jackets, shades/goggles, and gloves are a must.
- Keeping hydrated and eating sufficiently and frequently during trekking is a must.
- First aid kit is a must.
- Scarf, headlights/torch, and spare batteries would help.
- Avoid drinking alcohol because against the famous belief that it keeps you warm, actually it decreases body’s core temperature and exposes your body to ill effects of hypothermia.
- OTC medicines for headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and breathlessness should be carried as a precautionary measure.
- Food and drinks like spare water bottles, chocolates, energy bars, nuts, and juices can carried along.
- Chlorine tablets can be carried along.
- Bring a good camera.
- If travelling by your own car, check your vehicle for the excursion: Get servicing done days before going on a trip, keep spare tyre, air pump, extra fuse and bulbs. In case you have enough space then a chain and a big can should also be kept.
What are the basic principles of acclimatization?
- Days before going on an adventure vacation, on should focus on increasing level of fitness by jogging, cycling, swimming, breathing exercises, and stretching. Best would be two months before the excursion.
- Researching and planning appropriately.
- Travel on heights gradually and stopping at different levels for 1-3 days.
- Drinking lots of water.
- Drinking soups containing garlic.
- Applying lip balms and moisturizers.
- Carrying sunglasses.
What instructions should be followed in water rafting?
- A raft can accommodate from 6-8 people and an instructor.
- As per the rules & regulation an instructor in each raft is mandatory. In case of big groups kayakers also accompany for extra safety precaution.
- Wearing life jacket and helmet is mandatory for all as they can save and keep you afloat in case the raft flips or you fall into the water.
- Don’t go against the laws of river rafting.
- Instructors are well qualified and licensed by the authorities.
- Listen and adhere to all instructions carefully as the river can be treacherous.
- Do not enter the water even for fun without a life jacket and notifying the camp manager, instructor or the tour leader.
What all should be remembered while travelling to the dream destination of Leh-Ladakh?
- Best time to visit is May end to October.
- One should carry the photocopies of their id proofs along with original.
- Protected area permit should be arranged before travelling. Indian nationals require inner line permit to some of the areas.
- Carry and drink plenty of waters.
- Take inhalers along.
- First aid box with medicines for headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and breathlessness should be carried.
- Take your sunglasses, sunscreen lotions, and moisturizers along with you.
- Paper soaps can be carried along.
- Bring a good camera with enough memory.
- Carry adequate cash since cards might not be accepted.
- Get your currency exchanged from Delhi or Chandigarh.